Education and Certifications
I have a B.Sc.(Hon.) in Biology and a B.A.(Min.) in Geography from Queen’s University and a M.Sc. in Plant Biology and a Ph.D. in Environmental Biology & Ecology from the University of Alberta.
I was certified as a Professional Biologist by the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (AB) in 2008, and I am a Professional Wetland Scientist, certified by the Society of Wetland Scientists (USA, 2010). Under the current Alberta Environment and Parks policies, I am an Interim Wetland Science Practitioner (IWSP).
Areas of Expertise
My areas of expertise include terrestrial and wetland plant community monitoring and assessments (including rare species), nutrient cycling, organic matter decomposition, plant and microbial biodiversity, and impacts of natural and anthropogenic disturbances (fire, timber harvesting, industrial release events) on terrestrial, wetland, and aquatic ecosystem distribution, function, and water quality and quantity. In addition, I have experience in wetland classification, delineation, identification, and monitoring, design of treatment wetlands, forest pathology, non-timber forest resources, climate change impacts on natural ecosystems, and ecosystem health assessments.
Most recently, I have managed or contributed to various oil/bitumen/produced water release assessment, reclamation projects (including oil sand tailings deposit reclamation), pre-site and pre-development assessments, provincial approvals (Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act and Water Act), sensitive receptor inventory, wetland compensation, treatment wetland design, and wetland monitoring program development and execution projects. These projects have been for various oil/gas, mining, and landfill clients across Alberta as well as B.C. and Newfoundland and Labrador and were delivered while he worked for another environmental consulting firm.
I have a very strong scientific foundation and have extensively published and presented my work in national and international scientific journals and books and workshops, symposia, and conferences, respectively. In addition, I have professional affiliations with several local, regional, and international ecological associations. I was an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Alberta from 2004–2013.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
I am a member of the:
- Society of Wetland Scientists (SWS)
- Registered Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS; 2010-current)
- American Bryological and Lichenological Society (ABLS)
- Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB)
- Director on Board of Directors (2010-2012)
- Wetland Practice Area Steering Commitee member (2012-2014)
- Chair of the Microbiology Practice Area Steering Committee (2015-current)
- Member of the Registration Committee (2015)
- Alberta Native Plant Council (ANPC)
Safety certifications that I currently hold include:
- All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Safety Training (2011);
- Driver’s Safety–Collision Avoidance (2010);
- Electronic General Safety Orientation (eGSO; 2011);
- Ground Disturbance Workshop (2010);
- H2S Alive (2013);
- Oil Sands Safety Association (2010);
- Oil Sands Safety Association Fire Safety Training (2013);
- Petroleum Safety Training (2011);
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s License (2009);
- Standard First Aid–Level C CPR and AED (2015);
- TDG–WHMIS (Transportation of Dangerous Goods) Training (2008);
- WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System; 2010); and
- Wildlife Awareness (2010).